I wanted to try these broccoli cheddar twice-baked potatoes, but it's been too hot to use the oven. Instead of baking these potatoes in the oven, I cooked them in my crock pot like I learned how to do here.
I wrapped the potatoes in foil and cooked them for about three hours on high in the crock pot. I took them out and let them cool a little so that it was easier to handle them. Then I cut the potatoes in half and carefully scooped out the insides while being very careful not to tear the skin of the potatoes. I mashed the potatoes that I scooped out and added chopped broccoli, cheddar cheese, and a little bit of milk. I mixed everything together, spooned it back into the potato skins, and seasoned them with salt and pepper.
Since I didn't want to turn the oven on, I cooked the potatoes in my little toaster oven. It's great for making toast, but it also bakes like an oven without putting out a lot of heat. It's small so you can only cook small quantities and it worked perfectly for baking the potatoes. I also used it for baking the stuffed zucchini I made recently.
This recipe for these Broccoli Cheddar Potatoes is from Cate's World Kitchen.
- 4 medium-sized baking potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup (loosely packed) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-4 tbsp milk (or more, as needed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Bake the potatoes for about 50-60 minutes, or until soft.
- Carefully slice each potato in half lengthwise, and scoop the potato flesh into a bowl, leaving the skins intact.
- Put the skins on a baking sheet.
- Mash the flesh until smooth, and stir in the remaining ingredients. Add enough milk so that the mixture is soft and smooth, and add salt and pepper to taste
- Scoop the filling into the potato skins and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.