This is green chile chicken enchilada casserole one of my family’s all time favorite meals. The whole family loves this meal because it’s delicious and I love it because it’s so easy to make! It can be made a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or frozen. I try to make this a little healthier by using low fat milk and low fat cream of chicken soup. I also make these enchiladas with mild green chili, but you can add the hot stuff if you like. It’s nice to add some green onions for garnish, too. Serve it with beans, rice, or a fresh salad. Enjoy!
2 cups cooked chicken, cut into pieces
12 corn tortillas
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 eight ounce can green chiles
1 pound cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix together sour cream, milk, cream of chicken soup and the green chilies.
2. Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish. Tear 6 tortillas into pieces and place on the bottom of the pan.
3. Put half of the chicken on top of the tortillas. Pour half the sour cream and soup mixture over the chicken and spread evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle half the cheese over the mixture. Repeat the layers of tortillas, remaining chicken, sauce, and then cheese.
4. Cover the casserole with foil. Poke a small hole in the middle of the foil to allow steam to escape.)
5. Bake for 40 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.