Fall is the perfect time of year to enjoy a hearty bowl of minestrone soup. This recipe for minestrone is really easy. It cooks in one pot and simmers on the stove while you do something else. This is a very versatile recipe too. Feel free to add other ingredients like pasta instead of the potatoes. You can also add other vegetables like frozen spinach, celery or fresh zucchini – whatever you have or what your family likes. You can also leave out the sausage and make it vegetarian. This recipe makes 8-10 servings. Feel free to half the recipe or make a big batch and freeze the leftovers for later. Enjoy!
1/2 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into pieces
1/2 pound Italian sausage
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons dried thyme
5 cups water
5 chicken bouillon cubes
3 medium potatoes, pealed and cut
1 cup frozen green beans
1. Remove Italian sausage from casings. Brown sausage in a large pot. Add cut up kielbasa sausage and brown.
2. Add onion and garlic. Cook 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients to pot and stir to mix.
4. Bring to a low boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Add frozen green beans. Simmer for 15-20 more minutes or until potatoes and green beans are tender.